If you want to say you were in Mexico City and experienced it like a real Chilango (Mexico City resident), here’s what you have to do.
2. Go up the Torre Latino. Because it is the skyscraper with the best panoramic view of the city. Because you won’t believe how big it is until you actually see it. It’s mind-blowing
3. Eat in the street. Tacos de canasta (potluck tacos), guajolotas (a bun with a tamal), carnitas (cubed, fried pork), chilaquiles (fried tortilla drenched in green tomato sauce), pozole (meat stew with hominy), esquites (sweet corn), quesadillas (tortillas with a variety of fillings). Whatever the time of day, look for the places with the longest queues.
6. The Museum of Anthropology and Chapultepec. The Museum of Anthropology is world-famous and definitely worth a visit. After you've seen the museum, take a walk through the wonderful Chapultepec Forest. For a perfect day.
8. Go to see a wrestling match. You are in the wrestling capital and should experience this quintessentially Mexican show first-hand. Cheer your idols in the ring at Arena México or the smaller, more family-oriented Arena Coliseo.
9. Riding on a trajinera (river boat) On Sundays, make sure you go to Xochimilco for a ride on one of the colorful trajineras or river boats. Food, music and family atmosphere.
10. Cycling There’s a bike rental service so that you can explore the city. Sundays are the best day to ride along Reforma, because it is closed to traffic and you can sightsee and do exercise at the same time.